Saturday, September 13, 2014

Our "Just" Deserts

Since this blog is mainly going to be about my designs and design process I thought I would occasionally mention some of the artists that have influenced my art over the years.

I have recently been playing around with repetitive pattern drawing again. Something I haven't done in years but have always enjoyed. This has brought to mind a time in 2007 when I went to the San Jose Museum of Art in San Jose, CA and saw an exhibition of Il Lee's abstract artwork done in ballpoint pen on canvas. This was an aha moment for me. Here was a serious artist creating large pieces "just" by doodling with a pen. His pieces are large and complexly simple and I was entranced. This experience allowed me to view my own doodles in a new light. So often we dismiss our own pieces as "just" doodles or with some other negative term. In reality we are creating art, feeding our own need to create and just possibly creating an aha moment for someone else. So doodle, or noodle, or stitch, or plant, or whatever it is that you do to bring out your creativity and share it with the rest of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment